.

Logos2Go

Daily thoughts on aesthetics and theology, and the entire world in between.

    subscribe to
  • RSS

Broken bread

This is what came to me today:

The only purpose for a loaf of bread is to be broken, and the pieces fed to others.

Jesus said he is the bread of life. And the Scripture says " ... as he is, so are we to be in the world."

And what did Jesus the Bread of Life do -- or, as the popular cliche asks: What Would Jesus Do?

Here is what Jesus did: the Bread of Life was broken for many. That is what Jesus did.

And we are to be like him in the world.

It shed new light on my concerns, so much of them having to do with how to hold my life together. Is my job still meaningful or should I look for another? Do I still have time to build my shed before winter? Even this: what series of messages should I next preach?

If I am bread in the world, it seems I not only want my loaf to be unbroken, all my concerns are about how to keep my loaf together -- even to be better looking.

But Jesus the Bread of Life was broken apart for the world. And as he is, so should we be in the world.

Logos2Go

John 6.35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.

1 Corinthians 11.23b-24 ... the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body which is for* you. Do this in remembrance of me.”

1 John 4.17 ... because as he is, so are we in this world.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Logos2Go

Followers