.

Logos2Go

Daily thoughts on aesthetics and theology, and the entire world in between.

    subscribe to
  • RSS

Powerpoints and preaching

This is the latest challenge to the centuries-old craft of preaching:

Powerpoints.

I use Powerpoint in the classroom always, but from the pulpit I have long resisted it.

The famous preacher D. Martin Lloyd-Jones once wrote that effective preaching involves more than just speaking; the preacher's entire body has to be engaged in the delivery. Delivering the Word of God demands the whole person, not just the voice.

How do you do that when you have to read from a Powerpoint? "And this is what the Word of God says ... oops, let's see ... I clicked too soon ... hold on."

The Word of God must come through the human vessel, not through the bullets on a Powerpoint.

The technology adds multiple challenges to an already difficult craft. And the deception is that we think it makes the job easier.

Easier in what way?

You who can't speak well to begin with, do you think pictures and graphics can help you?

You who are not certain of the Holy Spirit's anointing, do you hide that anxiety behind the appeal of moving parts on a screen?

The printed Word and the spoken Word, historically, have played different roles in the ingesting of the revelation of God. Powerpoints bring the two together in an extremely complicated way -- complicated because, again, it seems so simple.

But often it reduces giving a sermon to giving a report.

Having said all this, I plan on using a Powerpoint this Friday when I speak at the Camp Wooten Men's Retreat. I do it for the following reasons:

1. I want to remain open to how the delivery of God's Word changes with technology. The Holy Spirit is bigger than technology.

2. It is an evening session -- after a long day and a long drive for everyone. Can some graphics help in keeping the audience alert?

I must admit: I used the Powerpoint to organize my thoughts in preparation. But now that I think I have the message in me, I'm a little nervous about using it.

But I do think the message is in me now, so I am open to giving the Powerpoint a try.

Logos2Go

Romans 10.17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

D. Martin-Lloyd Jones, "The Act of Preaching" in Preaching & Preachers (Grand Rapid, MI.: Zondervan, 1971), 81-83cf.

3 comments:

dougb@verizon.net March 24, 2010 at 9:44 AM  

Jesus used illustrations out in the hills and fields where he taught-- pictures at night seems like a good way, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, to use more vivid illustrations in our proclaiming the Word. Furthermore ppt can carry to a bigger page, the Words of His Scriptures. So use the technology to the glory of God! Doug B

Daniel Leslie Peterson March 24, 2010 at 10:28 AM  

I've always had a bias against pictures (in terms of photographs), seeing them as "graven images" to be avoided. "The camera ALWAYS lies."

In the case of powerpoints, my experience offers the following practical suggestions: ALWAYS be prepared to present effectively without the powerpoint (in case of projector bulb burnout, power failure, or some other technological glitch). ALWAYS have two printed versions of the final presentation in with you so you are not dependent upon seeing your computer screen or the projection screen. (The second copy is in case someone needs to advance the slides for you; they will be able to do so much more efficiently if they know what's coming next.) And, format your slides so that "blind" people in the back row will be able to read them.

As for those of us who plan to sleep in the back row after making the long drive, ...

Ellen March 24, 2010 at 7:48 PM  

Hi Dave,

I have seen many effective ppt presentations done, with ppt adding to the presentation. I trust with your excellence in teaching, that the slides will be well done and add to the message you share.

I will be praying for your communication and the blessing it will be for those who are there.

I hope that if anyone plans to come and sleep in the back row they will find a better place to sleep than in the back row.

Post a Comment

Logos2Go

Followers