.

Logos2Go

Daily thoughts on aesthetics and theology, and the entire world in between.

    subscribe to
  • RSS

The still small voice at rejection

One of my academic papers I was sure would be accepted for publication was rejected yesterday.

Not even "revise and resubmit."

Just a plain
NYET.

The nerve of them.

I was sky high about the paper! In my mind's eye I saw it in print! It might even make a splash! It'll make me feeeel better during these few depressive months I've had! But ...


Just a plain
NYET.

No matter how many times I go through this, it's never easy.


But I have come to appreciate the still small voice at rejections.


This was a paper not in my field (the design disciplines) but in philosophy! The still small voice:
Don't think you can do this by your wits. Maybe I don't want you tampering with that stuff.

But this topic was my doctoral dissertation and, 13 years later, I can say it much better! The still small voice:
That doctorate was only because I let you pass.

But this paper would bone up my CV for a more appropriate teaching position! The still small voice:
Dream on pal. (I paraphrase).

But what to do now??? The still small voice:
Be content with what you have.

But what to do now????? The still small voice: ........


Well, I got some ideas, but I need to see if it's from the still small voice, or just more of my hokey plans.


Logos2Go


1 Kings 19.11-13 ... And behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the LORD,
but the LORD was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice. So it was, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood in the entrance of the cave. Suddenly a voice came to him, and said, "What are you doing here, Elijah?" ...

1 comments:

Anonymous March 24, 2010 at 9:32 PM  

Love you! V

Post a Comment

Logos2Go

Followers