.

Logos2Go

Daily thoughts on aesthetics and theology, and the entire world in between.

    subscribe to
  • RSS

Confessions of a professor at grading time

Another semester draws to a close and I engage in a bi-annual professorial ritual: giving grades.

If I were a teacher of arithmetic, perhaps the task would not be as emotionally challenging. There are no subtleties in 2+2=4.


But the humanities are all
about interpretation.

And in an academic culture favorable to the notion of The Equality of All Interpretations (which is what has become of the original notion of the equality of all
people), the task is made that much harder.

Come winter and spring, that academic culture still demands that I give grades.


So this is the first oxymoron. If all views are valid, what standard for grades? The gyrations on offer as answers to this question range between innovative to ridiculous.


But this is not where I want to go with this confession.


Here is my confession: I live for years with regret over not giving the right (interpreted) grade. The hardest ones are these: a student who is the life of the class in discussions -- and also does well in grades throughout the semester -- but who does
not do well in the final exam.

Poorly enough to miss an "A". In fact, misses it by more than a wink and a nod. Let's say the final numeral score for the semester is 86. That's not an "A" right? Another student, Average Joe, does well on his final and scores an overall 85. Surely it is
he who should get the "B" -- and he should be doggone thankful.

But, but, but, So-and-So, towards whom I
clearly had "A" thoughts throughout the semester; thanking my lucky stars -- I shouldn't say that; thanking Providence for placing him/her in my class ... this So-and-So blows the final and ends up with an average of 86.

Last year, I struggled mightily over one such case. I was in Texas already, driving a U-Haul from Houston to LA, reading Ayn Rand, looking for Chinese restaurants with a Garmin among the endless stretches of cacti outside of El Paso.

But I hadn't submitted my grades. What do I do? What do I do?


I gave him a B+. That's what I did. And I've regretted it ever since. He deserved an A-, the heck with averages.


This year again: a student was the
energy of class discussions, and did fairly well throughout the term with her grades.

But hers was the
lowest final exam score. And I think she did end up with a semester score of 86.

What to do? What to do?


I gave her a B+ as well.


And strangely, this time, I don't regret it. But it is not an easy peace.


Logos2Go


Psalm 89.14 Justice and judgment are the habitation of thy throne: mercy and truth shall go before thy face.

1 comments:

Daniel Leslie Peterson June 1, 2010 at 10:51 PM  

I found spring semester's grades posted on Whitnet this evening: A in Pastoral Theology, B+ in Church History II ... My first B grade in this MA Theology program! Wholly deserved, the way I felt about the final exam and final project, although I was hoping for that A-.

Post a Comment

Logos2Go

Followers