.

Logos2Go

Daily thoughts on aesthetics and theology, and the entire world in between.

    subscribe to
  • RSS

A whiff of snoot

I finally see what struck me about a recent event Valerie and I attended.

It was one of those financial seminars with the offer of a free dinner at a good restaurant. Free food at Luna is hard to turn down; so we went.


The minute I stepped into the foyer I realized this was for "high income" folks. (Duh ... when it comes to money I'm not the brightest).


So then, how did
we get selected? This was my question. Well, we don't know, they said, your names just cropped up on our list. Anyway, heeere we go ...

Over the aroma of the great food, I caught the whiff of something else ... what was it? What was it?


It was ... it was ... it was a whiff of Philadelphia.


But why? Why did that evening remind me of Philadelphia?


Well, it wasn't just any whiff of Philadelphia (and Philadelphia has its share of odors).

It was a whiff of the Philadelphia Main Line: MONEY.


It was a whiff of snoot, that's what it was.
Swimming pools, movie stars ... you know how that Jed Clampett song goes.

There in a room at the Luna in Spokane, it felt like I had been transported again to Philadelphia, rubbing shoulders with a particular kind of snootiness I knew so well...


My! How money can make people a certain way! What way?


Well, I was invisible to them. They walked right by me. I didn't exist. They sat right next to me and ne'er a smile, ne'er a hello, not even a look in my direction. I love Valerie because she just simply engaged the people to her right in conversation. I felt like they put up with it. I wasn't that way with the folks on my left; I just couldn't get it up to bother them in their self-sufficiency.


(So I'm totally willing to say it was
my arrogance ... I know how complicated these things can be. One can be arrogant in having less money as well).

The wine was not included in the free meal, by the way.


When the folks next to us left -- they left early -- their signed check was on the white tablecloth for all to see. For two, they spent near 50 bucks on wine that evening.


Logos2Go


Jeremiah 9.23-24 Thus says the LORD: "Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, Let not the mighty man glory in his might, Nor let the rich man glory in his riches; But let him who glories glory in this, That he understands and knows Me, That I am the LORD, exercising lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth. For in these I delight," says the LORD.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Logos2Go

Followers