.

Logos2Go

Daily thoughts on aesthetics and theology, and the entire world in between.

    subscribe to
  • RSS

Round pegs and square holes


Round pegs and square holes are just the extremes. Some pegs are no-so-round. Some holes are not-so-square. Many pegs and holes don't even look like round things and square things. They come (pegs and holes) in all different sizes and shapes.


So, "round pegs and square holes" is just a shorthand way to put the problem. But don't let the simple little ditty fool you. This is one BIG and complicated problem.

Because all of life in this fallen world is trying to fit our pegs, the sizes and shapes of which we don't fully know, into the right holes, the sizes and shapes of which we can't fully tell.

Oh, of course we get inklings. We do have some sense about ourselves. And some holes out there seem like better fits than others. But ultimately those holes are just labels. It's not like they see you coming and, boom, organically transform to fit your shape. Those holes don't say, "Oh, you want to be a doctor! Well let's just customize one hole that's a precise fit for you!"

Forget about it.

For example, I know several doctors. "Doctor" is the name of a hole. But the actual doctors I know (the pegs), are all different sizes and shapes of personality and soul. I think some of them really don't much like their jobs, I mean, their holes. Oh, society says "Man, that guy is a doctor! He must be happy; look at all the respect he gets and the money he makes." Well, some are happier than others. Others can't wait 'til retirement. This is what I suspect. (Do you ever notice how quickly conversations with doctors turn to musings about retirement?).

As for me, all my life I wanted to be a professor. Now I is one.

But my heart is restless, until it rests in You.

One reason I know there is a God is how much we all have this idea of a perfect fit. This idea came from somewhere. There is something about me, the way that I am so fearfully and wonderfully made, that just can't seem to find the right hole in this world. And I look around and I see that's true for everybody.

Everyone is making do in the hole he or she ended up in. And there, they look through a glass dimly.

But one day we will know in full, even as we have been fully known. And then we will know joy unspeakable and full of glory.

Logos2Go

Augustine, Confessions (Lib 1,1-2,2.5,5: CSEL 33, 1-5)"You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."

Psalm 139.14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well.

1 Corinthians 13.12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

1 Peter 1.8 Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy inexpressible and filled with glory...

Matthew 4.19 Then He said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men."

John 21.21-22 Peter, seeing him (John), said to Jesus, "But Lord, what about this man?" Jesus said to him, "If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me."

1 comments:

The Flybox April 24, 2009 at 8:28 AM  

Years ago, I thought my hole was "architecture". However, my circumstances shaped the peg and the hole - thus the peg "landscape architect" emerged fitting in a hole that looked something like city design - perhaps "urban design"?

While I've enjoyed my life and career, my peg and the hole seems to be constantly changing shape. Neither the peg nor the hole is ever quite right - never perfect.

Rest assured however, I know - "when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears" ... 1 Corinthians 13.10

Post a Comment

Logos2Go

Followers

Blog Archive