.

Logos2Go

Daily thoughts on aesthetics and theology, and the entire world in between.

    subscribe to
  • RSS

Adults and grandkids

An adult is always somebody else.

That's the conclusion I've come to after almost six decades of trying to become one.

At least for me, I'm never going to get there.

The elementary school I attended was on the other side of a playing field from the junior high. As a 4th grader I used to look across that field and say, "Someday I'll get there ... I'll be an 8th grader and then I'll be grown up ..."

I've looked across many playing fields over the decades; so far I've made it across them all ...

... but I still haven't really found this thing called adulthood.

I'm now looking at people younger than me and saying, wow, that guy is one grown-up guy. Why couldn't I be like him? In other words, now I'm looking across the playing field to folks in the elementary school, and wondering ... hmmm, why couldn't I be like so and so?

Oh well ... halfway through writing this post, I get a text from my son Jeremy. He has some news this morning:

I'm going to have a grandson.

I'll look forward to looking across that wide field; maybe I'll learn something from this new arrival. I know I will.

Logos2Go

Matthew 18.1-5 At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, "Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me ..."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Logos2Go

Followers