.

Logos2Go

Daily thoughts on aesthetics and theology, and the entire world in between.

    subscribe to
  • RSS

It is always now

Snow is on the ground again so soon after it was here last. The first thought the whiteness stirs is how quickly time flies. And how it seems to fly by faster each year.

It can't possibly be time for Christmas lists again. But it is. I was up in the attic the other day and saw the boxes with the holiday decor. I could swear I just put those boxes back up there a few weeks ago.

What exactly is time? And why does it seem to go faster when you get older?

One answer might be that, by old age, we've accrued all of the original experiences there is for most of us to accrue in a regular lifetime. So everything has a been-there-done-that kind of feel. This very level of "normal boredom" gives the illusion that, after about 50 years, all our days look about the same.

So even as Christmas is unbelievably here again; summer will be unbelievably here again also.

But I just don't know. Deep down inside I have this feeling. I just have this sneaking suspicion that ...

... time is not linear at all. Time is not a train we're on, speeding by the scenery of life -- and so over time (so to speak), the stuff all looks the same.

But I suspect time is not a train we're on at all. Rather ...

... time is actually an ocean we're in.

Everything that happens in it is somehow always here.

Why does that make things seem to "go" faster? I don't know.

But this I know: Jesus is always present tense.

Logos2Go

1 John 16.33 I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

2 Corinthians 6.2 ... I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation.

Hebrews 3.15 ... Today, if you will hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Logos2Go

Followers