.

Logos2Go

Daily thoughts on aesthetics and theology, and the entire world in between.

    subscribe to
  • RSS

Cartoon-ifying ourselves

A sidebar on a webpage tells me to "cartoonify" myself. It shows a picture of a regular guy, and next to it is a cartoon of the same person, except with little fangs and wearing a cape. So in this case, the guy cartoonified himself by dracula-izing himself.

This set me to thinking.

We already relate to people as cartoonified versions of themselves. Probably in our present condition, this is the only way we know people: as cartoons of the real people:

Here is Sarah the student. Oh, that's Joe the accountant. Over there is Mildred the retiree. And the Smiths? Well, they home-school ...

Even more: we probably only know ourselves as cartoons. Is it even possible for me to think of myself other than as wearing some cartoonified costume?:

Here I am as a professor. Here I am as a husband. Here I am as a neighbor. Hey, look at this one:

Here I am in my big fat Toyota Tundra. And friends say: "Hey Dave: all you need now is a gun rack and a cowboy hat."


It's all in good fun. But it's all in a cartoonifying sort of fun.

(I already have a cowboy hat, so bug off).

One thing is for sure: we don't need more cartoons of ourselves and others. What we need is the real person; what we need are real people.

Who am I? Who are you?

These are the real questions in this world of shadows; this vale of tears.

Logos2Go

1 Corinthians 13.12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

Matthew 4.20 Immediately they left their nets and followed him.

Matthew 4.22 Immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him.

Luke 5.28 And leaving everything, he rose and followed him.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Logos2Go

Followers