.

Logos2Go

Daily thoughts on aesthetics and theology, and the entire world in between.

    subscribe to
  • RSS

Architecting sensitivity

Being sensitive to others, I have noticed, does not come naturally for most people.

Sensitivity is acquired over time.

I've had occasion to observe this during this holiday season, when my grown sons are home. Some are more sensitive to the needs and feelings of others; some are less.

In my mind's eye I see rough stones. Over time, the stones are chiseled, fashioned, smoothed little by little. They are being architected by forces beyond me.

Every holiday season when they are back home, I see the erosion of bigness. They are smaller than they were last year, some of them.

The progress so far is both satisfying as well as concerning. It is surprising too. But mostly it is satisfying.

One never stops carrying the burden of one's children.

But the relief I experience this year is this: I've reached a point in fatherhood when I no longer need to be the lead chiseler. (Perhaps I feel the freedom from the illusion that I ever was the chief chiseler).

Circumstances, what each son faces in the world, each of their spouses or spouses to be, and the fear of God.

These are the chisels now.

I pray for the fear of God to grow in each, and in me as well.

Logos2Go

Psalm 111.10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise.

Proverbs 1.7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

Proverbs 9.10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Logos2Go

Followers