.

Logos2Go

Daily thoughts on aesthetics and theology, and the entire world in between.

    subscribe to
  • RSS

A question from a student

Dr. Wang:

... I had dinner with a Christian friend of mine and his wife yesterday after class. We got to talking about art and whether it was appropriate for Christians to be engaged in things like modern art. I have always thought it would be wrong for Christians to engage in a form of art that in my mind had been intentionally setup to deny God. My friend argued that it is simply the intentions of the artist that matter, and that if his intention is to glorify God then no form is wrong. I was curious what you thought on this issue?

(signed) __________

* * * * * * * * * *

Dear _________

I think one of the tragedies in the cultural history of America is the abandonment of the arts by Christian artists. This comes from certain theological roots in Protestantism which, I think, amounts to throwing the baby out with the bathwater. You can trace it all the way back to the years during and after the Reformation. John Calvin, for instance, had no time for art, and thought of it as a fleshly pursuit not glorifying to God.

But in my view, Protestant theology needs more clarity on the difference between art-making as idol-making, versus the making of beautiful things to glorify God. Makoto Fujimora is one current Christian artist you might read up on; his work is largely of the “modern art” variety:

http://www.challies.com/archives/interviews/an-interview-with-makoto-fujimura.php

I don’t happen to think that non-representational art (for example: Cubist art, or even more recent abstract art) must be anti-God. I know the roots of the "looks" of this kind of art are embedded in turning away from the beauty of the created world to more of an unregenerate preoccupation with fallen human emotions and psyches.

But as a matter of fact I think non-representational art can be useful in representing actual realities of the fallen world in such a way that might stir people towards contemplations about life and eternity. For example, when "modern art" depicts the angst and brokenness of life, that is not necessarily a bad thing if it can be used to bring about a hunger for righteousness.


My rule of thumb is that there is no such thing as Christian art, just Christian artists. If the artist walks with the Lord, what he creates would glorify Him. So in this regard, I am sympathetic to your friend’s opinion. The world needs to see that Christians are not just nay-sayers holed up in their holy huddles. All truth is God’s truth, and that truth needs to find expression in as many ways as possible – which includes in art.

More than ever we live in a culture that is visually driven. So, more than ever we need for those “visuals” to send a message of Christ’s love.

I look forward to more discussion on this and related matters. Please feel free to keep in touch with me about them.

David W

Logos2Go

1 Corinthians 10.30-31 If I partake with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of that for which I give thanks? So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

2 comments:

Narcoleptic December 11, 2009 at 6:18 PM  

Art making as distinct from idol making. Do we think this is a particular distinction in art's case, or are there any number of distinctions present here in addition to art?

David Wang December 13, 2009 at 7:10 AM  

Of course anything can become an idol. But I art-making is one area when people can go out of their way to make physical idols.

Post a Comment

Logos2Go

Followers