.

Logos2Go

Daily thoughts on aesthetics and theology, and the entire world in between.

    subscribe to
  • RSS

What I thought about at the Verizon store

The mailer told me I qualified for a cell phone upgrade, so there I was standing in line at the Verizon store.

Rows and rows of the latest phones! With the downlighting shining on them, they glowed like jewels: the baubles of the latest technology.

The little things are combinations of what used to be big things -- typewriters, televisions, maps, cameras, calendars, tape recorders, not to mention, ahem, telephones -- now all rolled up into one little object that can fit in your pocket.

I was struck by how fast these cell phone models change. When we moved out West 12 years ago -- just 12 years ago -- Valerie and I used CB radios to stay in touch between our two cars. (You know: with the big antenna glued to the hood, etc...)

Standing in line at the Verizon store, I got to thinking: what does God see in all this?

What does God think about progress?

God, who knows the end from the beginning. God, who knew about cell phones before there were even dial-up phones?

What, exactly, does "progress" mean to God?

Progress: something we value so much. (As in: Hey, I'm making progress!!!). With a new phone that is a map-television-typewriter-camera all rolled into one, and stuffed into my pocket, I would be:

A Man Who Is Making Progress ...

That's what I was thinking about at the Verizon store.

When it was finally my turn at the counter: "You mean ... I still need to pay X for this upgrade?"

"Yes, Mr. Wang."

To begin with, I really didn't want a gaudy new phone I couldn't operate anyway.

So I left with the one I had.

Logos2Go

Isaiah 46.10 I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say: My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.

1 Timothy 6.8 But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Logos2Go

Followers