.

Logos2Go

Daily thoughts on aesthetics and theology, and the entire world in between.

    subscribe to
  • RSS

The gift of the benefit of the doubt

As we get older, we think we have more discernment. We don't jump into commitments open-ended like we used to when younger. This is a good thing when it comes to impulse buys, political enthusiasms, perhaps proposed job changes.

By discernment I mean the ability to see more fully the consequences of a possible path or action. As Christians, we are asked to not only discern things, but even the spirit behind things. A tall order indeed.

But discernment is most problematic when assessing people for the first time. Upon meeting someone, it is often difficult to parse between discernment and pre-judgment.

This is why, when it comes to people, discernment should always be mixed with doubt.


Upon first meeting, the unimpressive person ought to be given the benefit of the doubt: He might turn out a great guy after all. At the beginning of things, we owe him the benefit -- or the gift -- of the doubt.

This is not to say that ultimately he will deserve this gift. He may indeed turn out to be the problematic person we first discerned him to be.

I've had these things go both ways. Sometimes the person is worse than even I thought he would be. In these cases, well, you still must forgive him seventy-times seven times. But forgiveness is a gift of a different kind.

Then there are the ones that turn out much better than I initially projected.

In these pleasures, the real discernment turns out to be nothing but the gift of doubt you willingly gave many moons ago.

Logos2Go

Philemon 1.10-11 I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, who became my son while I was in chains. Formerly he was useless to you, but now he has become useful both to you and to me.

1 John 4.1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Matthew 18.21-22 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Logos2Go

Followers