.

Logos2Go

Daily thoughts on aesthetics and theology, and the entire world in between.

    subscribe to
  • RSS

Vince yesterday

I bumped into Vince yesterday in town. I was walking down the street and he was just getting into his truck. If he saw me he didn't let on, so I made the first move:


"Hey Vince!"

He was humble and hesitant as usual. But Vince is solid in his own vulnerable way. You get the feeling he's gone through a lot in life; an old rock that's weathered many storms. But still there.

"How's your family, Vince? You have a daughter on the East Coast, don't you?"

"Yea, but ... but she's back in town now doing substitute teaching ... it's ... it's hard getting a full time position."

Vince was a student of mine years ago. He was one of those "returning students." I think he needed a degree to get ahead in his job. I was rough on him then; his writing was not up to par, and I had a hard time understanding him. He switched professors and finished his degree with other faculty.

"You know Vince, I'm sorry we weren't able to work together. I think we can now because, well, because I've learned a lot about being kinder to students ..."

I said something like that. He was very gracious, and muttered some pleasantries as he got into his truck.

As I walked on, I heard him drive away.

I hope he received what I said as an apology, because I meant it as one.

Logos2Go

Ephesians 4.32 And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.

Colossians 4.1 Masters, give your bondservants what is just and fair, knowing that you also have a Master in heaven.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Logos2Go

Followers