.

Logos2Go

Daily thoughts on aesthetics and theology, and the entire world in between.

    subscribe to
  • RSS

Hi, I'm Pat Summerall

I'm washing dishes at my kitchen sink and a radio commercial comes on:

"Hi, I'm Pat Summerall..."

Actually there's a lead-in sentence that usually sets up a problem. In Summerall's case I forget what the problem was. But let's say it goes something like this:

"Ever eat so much you feel like your stomach's going to explode? ... Hi, I'm Pat Summerall..."

Then Summerall pitches the solution; I also forget what that was. (In any commercial worth thinking about, I always forget the point of the commercial).

My question is this: What kind of person qualifies to do this kind of commercial? What kind of person can say, soothingly, "Hi, I'm So-and-So ...." and it would be a fitting pitch for the product? For example, I certainly can't because ...

"Hi, I'm David Wang ..." just won't work. Nobody knows me. Or:

"Hi, I'm George W. Bush..." ABSOLUTELY NOT! Because, well, the former president is just too divisive of a personality to pitch a remedy to keep your stomach from exploding. Or:

"Hi, I'm Tiger Woods..." Well, no.

So who is Pat Summerall? I vaguely remember him to be some kind of sports figure. So I do a Google search and, I see, he also did some work with Billy Graham...

I think actors and actresses do these "Hi, I'm So-and-So..." commercials. But they tend to be minor actors and actresses. For example, this probably wouldn't happen:

"Ever eat so much your stomach feels like exploding? ... Hi, I'm Harrison Ford."

I don't think so. He's just too big of a name.

So: Ed McMahon, yes. Johnny himself, no.

Maybe this will work: "Hi, I'm William Shatner..." Isn't he pitching all sorts of stuff? Cheap airline tickes, etc? The Captain of the Starship Enterprise pitching cheap airfare...

One thing is clear: to be a good pitchman, you'll need to have done something in your past that people remember you by, or at least vaguely rings a bell as a benign something your name is attached to:

A sportsmen (with no dalliances). Captain of an imaginary spaceship. Sidekick to a famous comedian. That sort of thing.


Something famous but benign.

Something that contributed to the general culture, but in an supplemental -- not an essential -- sort of way. Something ...

Logos2Go

Galatians 6.10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

John 15.17 This is my command: Love each other. If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Logos2Go

Followers