.

Logos2Go

Daily thoughts on aesthetics and theology, and the entire world in between.

    subscribe to
  • RSS

Email and the log in your own eye

Email represents a new threat to human relations. It gives new meaning to the term “quick answer.” Email even legitimizes bad spelling in the name of speed: “u” instead of “you” or “cuz” instead of “because.” And then, with a click of the mouse, my reply just got sent at the speed of light to my friend.

Or my ex-friend.

Did I actually say that? How many times have I regretted clicking that mouse, and then spending the rest of the day (or days) anxiously awaiting a reply to an ill-spoken jab? Never before has it seemed more appropriate to compare a deceitful tongue with a sharp arrow. Once I let fly, those words never come back.

When I write them, I think my words are targeting the mote in my friend’s eye.

After I write them, they actually reveal the log in my own eye.

Taking a deep breath and waiting a while before answering an email can go some distance towards sanctification.

Logos2Go

Psalm 120.3-4 What shall be given to you, and what more shall be done to you, you deceitful tongue? A warrior's sharp arrows, with glowing coals of the broom tree!

Luke 6.42 How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye,' when you yourself do not see the log that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brother's eye.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Logos2Go

Followers