.

Logos2Go

Daily thoughts on aesthetics and theology, and the entire world in between.

    subscribe to
  • RSS

The score on depression: The Gospels 161, the Pentateuch 0

Someone once said that all depression is traceable to a faulty father figure.

Of course medical research now tells us that depression can largely be due to chemical imbalances in our system. And so there are all sorts of anti-depressant drugs available. These have their place; I am not one to argue against them.

But in my depressed mood these last few days, it came to me to look up how many times “Father” is mentioned in John’s Gospel. I looked it up for all four gospels (these counts are limited to mentions of “Father” in reference to God in the KJV):

Matthew: 40
Mark: 5
Luke: 14
John: 102

That adds up to 161.

I then thought to count the number of times God is called Father in the Old Testament. This morning I didn’t have time to go through a search of the entire OT. How about in the first five books? I did a very quick count, so I might be one or two off:

The first five books of Moses: 0

That would be zero.

My prayer this morning is I would know the Father in a more intimate way; that, somehow, that would be the solution to my depressions. After all, the score seems to suggest a slam dunk. Below are just a few encouragements about the Father in John.

Logos2Go

John 14.2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

John 14.23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

John 15.8 Herein is my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit; so shall you be my disciples.

John 15.9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue in my love.

John 16.28 I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father.

John 20.17 Jesus said unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Logos2Go

Followers