.

Logos2Go

Daily thoughts on aesthetics and theology, and the entire world in between.

    subscribe to
  • RSS

Beyond Grace?

Driving around town, I see a church's name: Beyond Grace Fellowship.

Beyond Grace Fellowship?

How does that work?

The problem with our religious instinct is not that it wants to ignore what Jesus demands. We want to go beyond what Jesus demands. It's not that following Jesus is too hard. Being good religious people, we think it's too easy.

We want to do better. After all, we are eager beavers. We are can-do people. So if Jesus says X, we say X+1!

Hoo-ah! Then he would be really pleased, wouldn't he, wouldn't he?

In our politically correct culture nowadays, there are many rules for, well, let's just call them rules for diversity compliance. I know of an eager-beaver school administrator who likes to say that she always goes beyond compliance. Isn't she just wonderful?

May she find grace.

Actually, may grace find her.

Because anything beyond grace is the Law that grace left behind.


Logos2Go

2 Corinthians 12.9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Matthew 11.29-30 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Galatians 2.21 I do not nullify the grace of God, for if justification were through the law, then Christ died for no purpopse.

1 comments:

Daniel Leslie Peterson June 10, 2009 at 11:01 AM  

I have wondered about the relationship between grace and love. The Scripture does not seem to explicitly put the two together often. Love is the sum of the law and the most excellent thing. God IS love. Grace is the demonstration of that loving nature. Indeed, how can one go beyond that which itself extends from the heart of God in all directions without boundaries?

Post a Comment

Logos2Go

Followers