.

Logos2Go

Daily thoughts on aesthetics and theology, and the entire world in between.

    subscribe to
  • RSS

What happened today at the Starbucks

"I'll pay for that guy's order too," I said to the middle-aged barrista at the Starbucks.

My son was in town for business and stopped by for coffee after his power lunch. So here we were waltzing into the Starbucks.

He was dressed in his business best.

My attire was summer professor casual: frumpy polo shirt, second-day khakis, and I happened to be wearing my Airwalk sandals: you can see the toes squirming inside. Add to this my graying Chinese head of hair.

"I'll pay for that guy's order too," I said, as he ducked into the men's room.

"OK, we'll do," she said as we waited.

Then to pass the time, I ventured: "He's my son, you know."

You can see the gears turning as she did the mental assessment -- something like: That sharp guy is this jerk's son, yea right ...

"You're pulling my leg," she finally muttered, lower jaw not moving.

"He is," I said. "When he comes out take a close look, and then tell me if you see some of me in him."

So he comes out and places his order. But she's glancing from him to me to him. To me to him.

"Ten percent," she finally said. But she's still thinking I'm pulling her leg.

Then Jeremy gives me a big hug. And that settled it.

Logos2Go

Psalm 128. 1. Blessed are all who fear the Lord, who walk in his ways. 2. You will eat the fruit of your labor; blessings and prosperity will be yours. 3. Your wife will be like a fruitful vine within your house; your sons will be like olive shoots around your table. 4.Thus is the man blessed who fears the Lord. 5. May the Lord bless you from Zion all the days of your life; may you see the prosperity of Jerusalem, 6. and may you live to see your children's children. Peace be upon Israel.

4 comments:

Unknown June 4, 2009 at 10:02 PM  

That's my son too. I must be the 90%. Mrs. Wang

Brad June 5, 2009 at 8:19 AM  

Laughing ... Dave & Val, you guys haven't changed. Any kid who would hug his frumpy old man in line at Starbucks is a great son. You guys are blessed.

jeremy June 5, 2009 at 9:18 AM  

hardly business best...at least i wasn't wearing a tie :). I gave you a kiss too, but i see you left that fact out.
Thanks for 27 years of being the best dad. looking forward to at least 27 more
jw

Narcoleptic June 7, 2009 at 1:35 AM  

:D

Post a Comment

Logos2Go

Followers