.

Logos2Go

Daily thoughts on aesthetics and theology, and the entire world in between.

    subscribe to
  • RSS

be yourself / be holy

How many times have you been told, "Just be yourself." (?)

Oh so simple! Just be myself! As if that'll solve the tough situation I'm about to go into: Hey, I'll just relax and be myself ...

... good grief, why didn't I think of that?

But what does "just being yourself" mean? What is "yourself?"

In other words, what is "myself"?

It presumes that I know what "myself" is. But that's precisely the thing I've been trying to figure out for five decades.

And you come along and say, "oh, just be yourself"... (!)

As far as I know, the Scriptures do not place this mysterious burden on me. It doesn't say anywhere that I should just "be myself."

It says to be holy.

Be holy even as your heavenly Father is holy.

This is a tough one as well, but it has the look of sounder advice:

It refers to an external standard. There is a role model in Christ. There are many other role models in the lives of people I can look up to (if I just take a minute to look up to them). And then there are guidelines all through the Scriptures. And then there is the empowering of the Holy Spirit. And then there is forgiveness. And then ...

Logos2Go


Leviticus 19.2 Speak to all the congregation of the children of Israel, and say to them: 'You shall be holy, for I the LORD your God am holy.'

1 Peter 1.15-16 but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, "Be holy, for I am holy."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Logos2Go

Followers