.

Logos2Go

Daily thoughts on aesthetics and theology, and the entire world in between.

    subscribe to
  • RSS

Why I'm not "tracking" you

"I'm trackin' ya"

You hear this expression everywhere these days. It can mean:

1. To be aware of something, as in: "Did you hear about the unrest in China?" "Yea, I'm trackin' it on Fox."

2. To understand something, as in: "To get to the Costco, take a left, then turn right, got that?" "I'm trackin' ya."

3. To follow someone's example: Recently my son said he just might pursue a career in academia after all. Then he said: "I'm tracking ya."

Here is why I'm uncomfortable with "tracking ya":

To "track" something or someone comes from our increasingly cyber-dependent culture. We bomb Afghanistan by toggling joysticks in Virginia. We're tracking it all. See those little blips on that computer screen? They're bad guys, and we're trackin'em.

To ascribe powers of "tracking" to myself is to make me in the image of a cyber-creature. I'm Robo-Man, and I'm trackin' ya. It impersonalizes me. It impersonalizes community.

But I am not made in the image of a cyber-machine; I am made in the image of God. My mode of contact, my mode of awareness, of understanding, is not by tracking.

It is by the Spirit speaking to my spirit. It is not machine-to-machine. It is Life-to-life. Its operation is called fellowship. And its fruit is called communion.

So I don't want to track you. I want to be in communion with you.

Logos2Go


Ezekiel 11. 5 ... for I know the things that come into your mind, [every one of] them.

Job 21.27 I know full well what you are thinking, the schemes by which you would wrong me ...

Romans 8.14 ... those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.

1 John 1.7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Logos2Go

Followers