.

Logos2Go

Daily thoughts on aesthetics and theology, and the entire world in between.

    subscribe to
  • RSS

The burden of being an introvert

Introverts often aspire to be extroverts.

It's never the other way around. Can you imagine an extrovert thinking: "Oh, if I can only be an introvert! Think of how fulfilled my life would be!"

I can't imagine extroverts ever thinking that. They're too busy being extroverts: you know, being out there, mingling, networking, organizing, doing all of the things introverts live in mortal fear of doing ... and they're enjoying it! It's rejuvenating them!

I on the other hand am an introvert.

Once I went on a week-long retreat with a bunch of academics. It was in the mountains outside of St. Lake City. (In other words, I was stuck big time; no other place to go). The week was packed with wall-to-wall people obligations: meetings, encounter sessions (yuck!), dinners, cocktails, small talk, yak yak yak. Hikes in the snow!

I almost died.

One evening I simply disappeared into my room and shut the door. They didn't know what happened to me.

Oh, if I can only be an extrovert!

Today my friend Dan cited me a statistic that 75% of the US population is extrovert; only 25% are introvert. So you know who's running this joint.

Dan told me this tidbit in his study, which is a small wood frame shed -- oh, it must be no more than 10 x 10 -- on his 20 acres of land. We were holed up in there having fellowship, prayer, conniving to write a book entitled Christianity for Introverts.

Dan, you see, is an introvert.

"This is not a book," said Dan in his thoughtful way, "that will encourage introverts to be extroverts. This is a book that will encourage introverts to rejoice in just how God made them."

"Amen," I said, chomping down on his home-grown strawberries. "Amen!"

Outside several goats were lounging in the shade. And grasshoppers were all over the place, popping out of the grass like coiled springs.

Logos2Go


Psalm 139.14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

2 comments:

Unknown July 29, 2009 at 6:22 PM  

I think that the statistic is probably biased on account of I'd think less introverts are as likely to take part in a poll or some sort of test that causes them to communicate with others.

What's difficult for me is when extroverts don't understand why you don't have the energy to go out and do things with people but you have the energy to do just about anything that doesn't involve other people.

I'm ready for my single room back at the UW.

Daniel Leslie Peterson July 29, 2009 at 6:41 PM  

We've always called the "small wood frame shed" the Springhouse, as it is build on a concrete foundation enclosing artesian spring water. It is 9' 10" by 11' 6" outside. It served as a playhouse for our three young girls when we first moved to the Old Veit Farm nearly 19 years ago. Eventually metal roofing went on, and walls gained insulation and sheetrock. It was an extra bedroom housing first a nephew, then an "adopted" niece, and finally a young woman pilgrim. For my 50th birthday (five years ago) I determined to paint, shelve, and finally unpack books stored too long in the barn loft. I love to share it, but please no more than about three hours at a time. (Like he says, I'm an introvert!)

Post a Comment

Logos2Go

Followers