.

Logos2Go

Daily thoughts on aesthetics and theology, and the entire world in between.

    subscribe to
  • RSS

Michael Vick and repentance

One of the great gifts Christianity gave to the world is repentance. My knowledge of other religions is not exhaustive; but I am also not ignorant of them. I know of no other way of relating to God that, at the very heart of it, offers second chances by way of repentance.

Repentance is like spring: when it comes, life is all new again.

It is like summer: the warmth of its light makes the lifeless in us wither away.

It is like autumn: it allows us to reach that rainbow of maturity without regrets.

It is like winter: our sins are forgiven and covered; we are made white as snow.

The cycle of the seasons testify to the effectiveness of repentance: with it, we do not have to relive the last season, or any past season. With it, we can move on as new persons.

The sadness of repentance is that we can never redo what we did wrong; the water has been spilt.

The joy of repentance is that we don’t have to relive it; the Blood has been spilt.

As I write this I have in mind my recent needs for repentance.

But I also have in mind Michael Vick. I do not know where he is with respect to repentance. (Although it is encouraging he is working with Tony Dungy). Our culture has a substitute word: remorse. But remorse is not quite enough.

Repentance is where it’s at.

Because with repenting, there’s more than second chances. There are seventy times seven chances.

And they that wait on the Lord … shall mount up with wings as eagles.

Logos2Go


Matthew 4.17 From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

Luke 15.7 I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.

1 John 1.7-9 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

Matthew 8.21-22 Then Peter came to Him and said, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?" Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.

Isaiah 40.31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Logos2Go

Followers