.

Logos2Go

Daily thoughts on aesthetics and theology, and the entire world in between.

    subscribe to
  • RSS

A letter from Cliff

As summer wraps up, I get a letter from my friend Cliff:

"Its been a great summer of rafting, hiking, camping and backpacking. I was glad that nothing was happening this week because I'm exhausted ... Next week I'm going backpacking ... Hope you two are having a great summer too."

This sentence set me to wondering again about friends and friendships.


If I had to spend an entire summer rafting, hiking, camping and backpacking, I'd go nuts.

It would be like doing time.

A few weeks ago Cliff tried to get me to go on a six-day rafting trip. Six days!!?? Getting wet, bouncing up and down, pooping in the wild (how do you do that?), hanging out with a bunch of guys with BO, bouncing up and down, getting wet ... for six whole days!

Okay, there would be nature too.

Wow: all that fun, and nature too...

My problem is that I think about nature -- I think deeply about it. But I don't do nature nearly as well. Might get dirty.

Without my books, cats, laptop and alone-ness, the fabric of my introvert soul would be strained to the limit.

Cliff recently led a men's group through Gordon MacDonald's When Men Think Private Thoughts: Exploring the Issues that Captivate the Minds of Men. Cliff lent me his copy of the book. But I wish I had been part of the group.


Cliff also tells jokes. My favorite one: What does a dyslexic think about at night? He stays up nights wondering if there really is a DOG.

I smile every time I think of that, and I think of it often.

Now that he's retired, Cliff drives a school bus. Those kids don't know it, but years later they'll realize how much of a Kingdom guy Cliff is.

Cliff and I met in college 38 years ago.


Logos2Go

3 John 1.14 I hope to see you soon, and we will talk face to face. Peace to you. The friends here send their greetings. Greet the friends there by name.

Acts 27.3 ...and gave him liberty to go unto his friends to refresh himself.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Logos2Go

Followers